[sane-devel] Out of memory (Brother MFC-9465CDN)

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Tue Mar 26 14:21:02 UTC 2013

Hey there,

I have a problem with a Brother MFC-9465CDN that I access through
a "scanner server" running saned. The problem is that most scans
fail with an "out of memory" message.

However, I can scan fine when using scanimage on the server
directly, the problem is when going through saned.

This machine does not have a whole lot of ooomph, but 1Gb of RAM
should be enough. In any case, there is still free memory (according
to top) at the time of the error.

Is this a problem with saned or the machine it's running on, or
a problem with the scanner?

To me, it seems that the out-of-memory message comes from the
scanner, but maybe I am misinterpreting the debug output (see
below).

Thanks for any help!

Here is the client output:

  % scanimage -d 'net:scanner.is:brother4:net1;dev0' -p --mode 'Black & White' --resolution 300 --source 'Automatic Document Feeder(left aligned)' >| /tmp/s
  scanimage: rounded value of br-x from 215.9 to 215.88
  scanimage: rounded value of br-y from 355.6 to 355.567
  scanimage: sane_read: Out of memory

Here is the server debug output:

  [saned] start_scan: trying to bind data port 0
  [saned] start_scan: using port 36052 for data
  [saned] process_request: waiting for data connection
  [saned] process_request: access to data port from 2001:a60:f10a:0:224:d7ff:fe04:c82c
  [saned] do_scan: start
  [saned] do_scan: trying to read 8188 bytes from scanner
  [saned] do_scan: read 8188 bytes from scanner
  [saned] do_scan: processing RPC request on fd 4
  [saned] process_request: waiting for request
  [saned] process_request: got request 6
  [saned] do_scan: trying to write 8192 bytes to client
  [saned] do_scan: wrote 8192 bytes to client
  [saned] do_scan: trying to read 8188 bytes from scanner
  [saned] do_scan: read 8188 bytes from scanner
  […]
  [saned] do_scan: trying to write 7976 bytes to client
  [saned] do_scan: wrote 7976 bytes to client
  [saned] do_scan: trying to read 212 bytes from scanner
  [saned] do_scan: read 0 bytes from scanner
  [saned] do_scan: status = `Out of memory'
  [saned] do_scan: statuscode `Out of memory' was added to buffer
  [saned] do_scan: trying to write 9 bytes to client
  [saned] do_scan: wrote 9 bytes to client
  [saned] do_scan: done, status=Out of memory

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck at d.o>      Related projects:
: :'  :  proud Debian developer               http://debiansystem.info

"the condition of perfection is idleness.
 the aim of perfection is youth."
                                                        -- oscar wilde