[sane-devel] canon pixma MX890 ADF empty test OK

Louis Lagendijk louis at fazant.net
Thu May 23 14:31:11 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-05-22 at 14:53 -0700, Tim wrote:
> Unfortunately my report was premature.  The backend did successfully
> manage a 1 page ADF scan followed by an ADF empty test, but more normal
> use profile failed as:
>
> o Placed 9 sheets in ADF
>
> o launched xsane w ADF/multipage=9
>
> o ask for and received preview, adjusted color with white eyedropper
>
> o ask for scan, failed
>
> After this, the MX892 was locked out regardless of several
> retries/variations including power cycling MX892, removing ~/.sane,
> removing cnijfilter and rebuild/reinstall 16 May git.  All variations
> error as follows:
>
> > [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of pixma to 11.
> > [pixma] pixma is compiled without pthread support.
> > [pixma] pixma version 0.17.2
> > [pixma] Scanner model found: Name MX890(Canon PIXMA MX890 Series) matches MX890 series
> > [pixma] pixma_collect_devices() found Canon PIXMA MX890 Series at bjnp://canon:8612
> > [pixma] pixma_find_scanners() found 1 devices
> > [pixma] Scanner model found: Name MX890(Canon PIXMA MX890 Series) matches MX890 series
> > [pixma] pixma_collect_devices() found Canon PIXMA MX890 Series at bjnp://canon:8612
> > [pixma] pixma_open(): Canon PIXMA MX890 Series
> > [bjnp] bjnp_open_tcp: Can not connect to scanner: Connection refused
> > [pixma] pixma_connect() failed EINVAL
> > [pixma] pixma_open() failed EINVAL
> > [pixma] pixma_close(): Canon PIXMA MX890 Series
> > /tmp$ exit
> > exit

Ar you scanning over the network. It would be worth testing the USB
interface first. And if you can get Rolf the logfiles of a Windows scan
and the Linux scan I am sure that he will be abler to get this sorted
out. This is definitely worth spending some effort for.

The logfile you show here may be pointing to a bug in the network code.
In other cases I have seen a faiure to open a tcp connection, this was a
bug in the network code. Did you test with the latest code from git?
Could you please try the same procedure over USB (disconnect the network
connection for the time being)

Louis