[sane-devel] USB 3.0 not supported?

Tom Pace tompace101 at gmail.com
Mon May 27 13:49:25 UTC 2013

On 05/27/2013 04:59 AM, Mike Cloaked wrote:
> On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 12:10 AM, Tom Pace <tompace101 at gmail.com
> <mailto:tompace101 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I couldn't find any information about USB 3 and SANE, but on my
>     particular hardware it doesn't seem to be supported. My Epson
>     Perfection
>     V33 works fine when plugged into a USB 2 port, but when plugged into a
>     USB 3 port it rarely works. I'm using the epkowa backend, and have
>     attached a log.
>     For all I know it could be the scanner itself doesn't support USB 3.
>     Even though USB 3 is supposed to be backwards compatible, I understand
>     it doesn't always work as advertised.
>
>     Thanks for any insight,
>

> Just for clarification does the scanner work when plugged into a usb2
> port on the "same" machine that it doesn't work when plugged into a
> usb3 port?
>
> I have a different scanner (MFP) which was plugged into a usb3 port
> and didn't work, but which worked when plugged into a different
> machine that only had usb2 - but I was chasing the wrong problem
> because it was the same non-functional state when plugged into a usb2
> port on the original machine - and it turned out that the problem was
> with udev not knowing how to have both a printer and scanner function
> on the MFP working at the same time.
>
> However I would also like to know more about whether usb3 is fully
> supported (both for any scanner that does have usb3 but also for
> backwards compatibility with usb2 on a computer that does not support
> usb3.
>
> --
> mike c

Yes, it is the same machine. It is a laptop running Linux Mint 13. There
are 2 USB3 ports that the scanner doesn't work very well on, and 1 USB2
port that it works perfectly on. The specs on the scanner itself do not
mention USB3, so it seems that the backwards compatibility is failing
somewhere. It could be within SANE, or it could be within the scanner
itself, or I suppose it could even be some other driver/hardware on the
laptop. Does anyone have any ideas how I could go about narrowing this down?

Thanks,
Tom