[sane-devel] A3 flatbed scanners

Mike Wirth mwirth at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 23:10:28 UTC 2013

Dale,

Re scanning odd-sized objects, do you need to scan non-flat items, e.g.,
non-document objects that don't lie perfectly flat?  I don't know if
anybody tests depth-of-field or uniformity of illumination for objects not
directly on the flatbed.  Would be interesting to hear anecdotal evidence.

In my case with a Fujitsu fi-4750c, the (folded) optical path is relatively
long, imaging a scan line up to 11" long onto a line image sensor about 2"
long, so there's some hope that there's some useful depth of field.  Guess
I could do some resolution target testing at various above-the-bed
distances.

Mike

PS: Re my earlier offer for a "free" fi-4750, that was FOB San Diego, the
point of surplus sale.  I ended up having to pay quite a bit more to have
it picked up, packed and shipped to my location (SF Bay Area), so the offer
has been rescinded.   To add insult to injury, the Fujitsu maintenance kit
that accompanied it (my real target) was for an incompatible model.  Guess
I'll have to sell it on eBay and buy the right one :-)  May either use the
scanner for spare parts or sell to recover my costs.

PPS: Am currently trying to debug the SANE backend for this scanner.
 Flatbed scanning works, but ADF scanning doesn't (even though it does work
under Windows XP with the standard Fujitsu drivers).  Many thanks to M.
Allan Noah, list maven, for extensive efforts to resolve this problem (our
offline message thread is up to 56 entries :-)  Ball is currently in my
court -- need to run another set of diagnostics.