[sane-devel] Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500

RagtimeTime stephenshannon1120 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 04:03:02 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm running Ubuntu 13.10 and trying to get the Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500 to
work.  I think I was nearly there, but then something mysterious happened.
Here's the situation:

1. "sane-find-scanner" recognizes the scanner
2. I got it to the point where "scanimage -L" recognized the scanner
3. I ran "scanimage -T" and the scanner pulled a sheet through
4. I tried to do an actual scan, and after about 5 seconds of nothing
happening, the "Scan" button started blinking orange.

I have to close the scanner lid and re-open to get the orange light to stop
blinking.  Now, "sane-find-scanner" still finds the scanner.  But when I run
"scanimage -L", it hangs up and the orange blinking light comes back.

After closing the lid and re-opening the lid so the light is blue again,
running "SANE_DEBUG_FUJITSU=15 scanimage -L" I seems that the "interlace
failed" (see below).  And when I run a second time, starting from blinking
orange light, I get a "Brain-dead scanner" (see further below).  Any advice?
Did I kill it?

Thanks.

First debug:

[fujitsu] init_interlace: not 1
[fujitsu] init_interlace: not 2
[fujitsu] init_interlace: not 3
[fujitsu] init_interlace: no valid interlacings
[fujitsu] disconnect_fd: start
[fujitsu] disconnecting usb device
[fujitsu] disconnect_fd: finish
[fujitsu] attach_one: interlace failed
[fujitsu] sane_get_devices: found 0 scanner(s)
[fujitsu] sane_get_devices: finish

[fujitsu] sane_exit: start
[fujitsu] sane_exit: finish

Second debug:

[fujitsu] connect_fd: opening USB device
[fujitsu] wait_scanner: start
[fujitsu] do_usb_cmd: start
[fujitsu] cmd: return error 'Error during device I/O'
[fujitsu] WARNING: Brain-dead scanner. Hitting with stick
[fujitsu] do_usb_cmd: start
[fujitsu] cmd: return error 'Error during device I/O'
[fujitsu] WARNING: Brain-dead scanner. Hitting with stick again
[fujitsu] do_usb_cmd: start
[fujitsu] cmd: return error 'Error during device I/O'
[fujitsu] wait_scanner: error 'Error during device I/O'
[fujitsu] wait_scanner: finish
[fujitsu] connect_fd: could not wait_scanner
[fujitsu] disconnect_fd: start
[fujitsu] disconnecting usb device
[fujitsu] disconnect_fd: finish
[fujitsu] connect_fd: finish