[sane-devel] canoscan 9000f mark ii

Rolf Bensch rolf at bensch-online.de
Tue Sep 3 16:23:41 UTC 2013

Hi Norayr,

Am 02.09.2013 14:17, schrieb Norayr Chilingarian:

> Hello,
>
> I need a scanner which can scan film (35 and 120) and has a free driver.
> I need it because I'd like to scan on x86, powerpc and arm
> architectures, I need to not depend on operating system version, I
> need driver continue to work with latest glibc.

You can compile SANE for every Linux platform from source.

> As far as I understand, the canoscan 9000f and 9000f mark ii is
> supported completely.
> http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sane-mfgs-cvs.html

Yes. Except for dust and scratch removal infrared channel is scanned as
separate image yet. You need to process this by external programs. This
issue affects all SANE backends with ir support.

> As I have read at the pixma driver page, it seems, the source is open
> and redistributable. So it fits my needs.
>
> Just to make sure, did I get it right?
> Is the pixma free software?

Yes, it is.

   This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
   modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
   published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the
   License, or (at your option) any later version.

(from header of pixma_common.c).

> Is it usually included in GNU/Linux distributions?

We cannot say what software / driver the distros will include in future,
but today it should be.

> Will it work on later versions of operating systems? It's not binary
> only, right? So it should work?

You can download only source code from the SANE website. Binaries /
Packages are provided from the distros.

> Or you may suggest other photo film scanner which has the free driver.

If the hardware fits your needs, the Pixma backend is well supported. I
myself own a CS9000F and can debug any problem with SANE.

Cheers,
Rolf