[sane-devel] epjitsu: adding a device?

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 11:55:02 UTC 2013

I will repeat an email I sent in June to the list, when the last
person asked about this scanner:
--------------------------------------
The epjitsu backend was entirely reverse engineered. No documentation
is available from Fujitsu. I tried to pare down the commands sent to
the minimum needed to make the scanner operate, and reduced things
like size of calibration data.

The patch for the S1100 has much better calibration and more features
like serial number reading. I would use it as the basis for any new
development.

However, Hiroshi Miura has done a great deal of work on his own to
merge the S1100 driver, and he has a github repo with his branch. It
does not contain all the features of my S1100 patch, but most of them.
I probably should abandon my work and use his merger instead.

https://github.com/miurahr/sane-backends/commits/epjitsu-s1100

I am afraid I'm not able to be much help- I've not touched this code
in some time, and have forgotten most of what I knew about the
protocol.
--------------------------------------

If you do not have the time to work on this, I would suggest a scanner
supported by the regular fujitsu backend. They use a consistent
protocol, and I have docs for most of them. Sometimes you can find a
lightly used higher-end machine for little money.

Otherwise, the canon backend also supports adf scanners, but there is
a bit of variability between models, which requires the backend to
'manufacture' some types of output. The pixma backend also supports a
number of ADF machines, and has an active development team. Other
backends also support adf scanners, but I have no experience with
them.

allan