[sane-devel] Umax SCSI question

David N Melik dchmelik at hipplanet.com
Wed Sep 11 08:58:46 UTC 2013

Scanimage shows my SCSI-2 Umax PowerLook 2100XL still functions, after
asking about it a few weeks ago with no reply. However, SANE does not
make it usable. It worked on earlier Slackware with the same SCSI card
in a different PC. The successful test was from an old sane-devel thread
(from 2006, 'UMax PowerLook 2100XL under OpenBSD, still') about someone
with the same sort of problem (same scanner & error, but on OpenBSD).
Below is the output from the failed test, and then the syntax of the
test that worked, and what people in the old thread thought the problem
was.

    root at cosmos:~# scanimage -d umax:/dev/scanner --format pnm >
 outfile.pnm
    scanimage: sane_start: Out of memory
    scanimage: received signal 15
    scanimage: trying to stop scanner

However, I have 64 GB RAM, and almost 2 TB free in my /home/user folder,
of which, in the 2006 thread, low space was suspected to be the
problem, as was a SCSI buffer size setting. The following test produced
an image.

    scanimage -v --resolution=300 -y 100 -x 100 > test1.pnm 2>debug.txt

I do not recall changing a SCSI buffer before; it is not something I
know much about. Can anyone tell me if that was it and what to do or
read?

I also commented out all other backends, and I do not recall if I was
supposed to edit something in the umax backend configuration. On
earlier Slackware, I recall maybe doing so or just making sure umax was
in the main sane configuration and drivers were loaded (I loaded sg,
but the successful test did not need the aic7xxx old or new driver for
my SCSI card, so I suppose something else handles it, though perhaps
the problem is the test ran with another, not quite adequate driver).

David