[sane-devel] New scanner Canon MF4770N Multi function

Rolf Bensch rolf at bensch-online.de
Fri Sep 20 14:47:02 UTC 2013

Hi Ralph,

Am 20.09.2013 06:34, schrieb littlesincanada:
> Hi Rolf,
> OK, diff included for pixma-imageclass.c to git unstable.
>
> I figured out the issue with the underrun: when the printer is scanning
> with the ADF for Preview (full area scan), it auto detects the end of
> paper and terminates the scan earlier than the sane driver is expecting.
> It sees the end of the paper and knows to stop at that point (nothing
> left to scan).

Here the backend expects maximum paper length if you don't request a
smaller format from scanimage or xsane. The scanner stops scanning when
the paper went through the document feeder.

> It cannot do this when scanning from the platen since it doesn't know
> where the end of the page is. Therefore, I don't get the warning when
> Previewing from the platen.

Sure, the scanner expects 11.7" paper length, but your scanner supports
only 11". Please replace the device define line with this one:

DEV ("Canon imageCLASS MF4770n", "MF4770", MF4770_PID, 600, 640, 825,
PIXMA_CAP_ADF),

This should fix this issue. Please report if this is successful. Then
I'll commit your patch to git.

If you don't want to scan large documents above 11" on the document
feeder, I'll patch this later.

> I couldn't really get any response from the buttons. My time with the
> printer is running out (I have to ship it to my daughter in Uni) so I'm
> going to have to call it a do at that.

You can check button support with scanimage. Please follow these items
for debugging:

(1) Connect your scanner to the usb bus.
(2) 'export SANE_DEBUG_PIXMA=11' on the console.
(3) Press any button.
(4) 'scanimage -A' on the console.

The response from scanimage should contain these lines:

  Buttons:
    --button-update
        Update button state
[pixma] INTR T=1.655 len=32
[pixma]  00000000:00 10 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
[pixma]  00000010:00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
[pixma]
    --button-1 <int> [1] [read-only]
        Button 1
    --button-2 <int> [0] [read-only]
        Button 2
    --original <int> [0] [read-only]
        Type of original to scan
    --target <int> [1] [read-only]
        Target operation type
    --scan-resolution <int> [0] [read-only]
        Scan resolution

The [pixma] lines are from my scanner which is different from yours.

(5) repeat from (3) for all other buttons.

Please send me the [pixma] responses for all buttons. Then I can create
a patch for this.

If you won't get [pixma] debug lines SANE doesn't support the buttons
from your scanner.

Cheers,
Rolf