[sane-devel] Header files required to build backends

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de
Thu Apr 3 10:14:36 UTC 2014

Hello!

While trying to get the Canon P-215 document scanner work with SANE,
I stumbled across a driver package directly offered by Canon [1].

This driver packages contains two 32 bit packages for both .rpm-
and .deb-based systems, no 64 bit packages, but at least a source
tarball with a binary blob and some C code.

Since my host system is running a 64 bit unstable, I thought I'd
try rebuilding the package for 64 bit. While doing that, I found
that the libsane-dev package in Debian currently contains solely
two header files, namely "sane.h" and "saneopts.h" while the SANE
upstream sources contain many more headers files from which the
Canon driver also needs several of.

Can anyone agree that the libsane-dev package in Debian should
ship all header files such that external backends can be developed?

If yes, I'd help Mark Buda, the current maintainer of the package
in Debian, to get a fixed version of the package into unstable.

Cheers,

Adrian

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/office/products/hardware/scanners/high_speed_document_scanners/imageformula_p_215_scan_tini_personal_document_scanner#DriversAndSoftware

--