[sane-devel] Canon MF8200C Series

Louis Lagendijk louis at fazant.net
Thu Aug 21 20:35:13 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-08-21 at 20:40 +0200, Troels Thomsen wrote:

> Hi ,
>

> Adding
> 192.168.1.50    mf8230

> /etc/hosts
>
> was really effective!
>

> I still have a delay, now around 10 seconds.
>
> As seen below, its not the pixma enumeration that takes all this time
> (only one second), so I'm suspecting it's because all the backends are
> given a chance to find a device. And given the number of backends this
> will obviously take some time.
>
> But then I tried to do
> ./configure BACKENDS="pixma" --without-snmp --disable-ipv6
>
> and then make
>
> Same result.
>

> To flip things around, I don't mind a full auto-detect taking 10
> seconds or 1 minute, if only there was a way to specify the device
> manually (from command-line, environment-variable etc)
>

> scanimage -d mfnp://mf8230:8610
>
> does not work,
> - can I specify a network device on the command line like this?
>
> - and will that stop the auto-detection?
>

> any help greatly appreciated!
>
> /Troels

There is no way to disable auto-detection in the pixma backend (I will
consider adding such an option when I get some time). But did you remove
all other backends from dll.conf?  All backends mentioned in dll.conf
will get loaded and will probe for devices. Removing any backends you
don't need may improve startup time quite considerably. There may be
other backends that try to do a reverse lookup (which does not work in
your case. Are you running an own DNS server?). So remove all other
backends from dll.conf.

BR, Louis