[sane-devel] improve scanbd for Debian

Wilhelm wilhelm.meier at fh-kl.de
Wed Dec 17 14:34:10 UTC 2014

Am 17.12.2014 um 12:29 schrieb Thorsten Müller:
> Am Mittwoch, 17. Dezember 2014, 16:47:31 schrieb Rolf Leggewie:
>> On 12.12.2014 13:58, Wilhelm wrote:
>>> Be sure that scanbd uses the correct location of libsane config
>>> files
>>> (see ReadMe). In most cases this will be a seperate directory (e.g.
>>> /etc/scanbd) where all configs and dll.conf are. This dll.conf must
>>> not contain the net-backend.
>>>
>>> On the other hand the standard libsane config location (/etc/sane)
>>> has to contain a dll.conf with only the net backend.
>>>
>>> I changed trunk to include an additional debug output to log the
>>> env-var SANE_CONFIG_DIR. Please check the startup-script if the
>>> right dir ist set ...
>>
>> SANE_CONFIG_DIR is set to /etc/scanbd.

good

>> The dll.conf files were not
>> set up according to above requirements but when I changed them that
>> way everything stopped working, including scanbd from the command
>> line or even "scanimage -L".

what stopped working?

>> sane-find-scanner would continue to
>> find the device, though.

without SANE_CONFIG_DIR=/etc/scanbd? should not happen (s. ReadMe), but

SANE_CONFIG_DIR=/etc/scanbd scanimage -L

should list the scanner.

>> Before I attempted to change things, /etc/scanbd/dll.conf contained
>> ONLY the net backend

wrong

>> and /etc/sane.d/dll.conf contained a whole bunch
>> of backends including genesys and net.

wrong: should only contain net backend

So, it looks like you swapped the config: please read the ReadMe carefully.

All - also local - clients must use the net-backend! This is because the
real device is locked due to scanbd polling the buttons. If a network
connection arrives (from local or remote client), scanbm (or scanbd -m)
stops scanbd from polling, releasing the devices an starts saned.

--
Wilhelm
w.meier at unix.net