[sane-devel] improve scanbd for Debian

Rolf Leggewie foss at rolf.leggewie.biz
Wed Dec 17 16:01:56 UTC 2014

Wilhelm,

thank you for your reply.

On 17.12.2014 22:34, Wilhelm wrote:
>>> The dll.conf files were not
>>> set up according to above requirements but when I changed them that
>>> way everything stopped working, including scanbd from the command
>>> line or even "scanimage -L".
>
> what stopped working?

The scanner isn't found anymore.

>>> sane-find-scanner would continue to
>>> find the device, though.
>
> without SANE_CONFIG_DIR=/etc/scanbd? should not happen (s. ReadMe), but
>
> SANE_CONFIG_DIR=/etc/scanbd scanimage -L
>
> should list the scanner.

See above, "scanimage -L" no longer worked.  sane-find-scanner does not
seem to affected by SANE_CONFIG_DIR at all.  Why did you ask?

>>> Before I attempted to change things, /etc/scanbd/dll.conf contained
>>> ONLY the net backend
>
> wrong
>
>>> and /etc/sane.d/dll.conf contained a whole bunch
>>> of backends including genesys and net.
>
> wrong: should only contain net backend

Of course.  I know this now.  But again, see above, when I did the
configuration according to the (long) README the situation so far only
got worse.

I am currently trying to get network scanning with saned working which
seems to be a prerequisite step before for scanbd config (except that of
course, scanbd works fine from the command-line, go figure).

Couple of questions.  Should I see scanbm or "scanbd -m" in the list of
running processes?  What I get here is "/usr/sbin/scanbd -c
/etc/scanbd/scanbd.conf".  Am I correct to assume that scanning over the
network (even if the network is only 127.0.0.1) is a prerequisite before
everything else?

I have now temporarily set /etc/sane.d/dll.conf to contain only the net
backend.  net.conf in the same directory defines saned hosts at
localhost and 127.0.0.1.  "nmap localhost" shows the sane-port at 6566
to be open.  But "SANE_CONFIG_DIR=/etc/sane.d scanimage -L" either
crashes outright or does not find any scanner.  The strange thing having
both the net and genesys backend in there results in either a crash or

$ SANE_CONFIG_DIR=/etc/sane.d scanimage -L
device `genesys:libusb:002:011' is a Canon LiDE 35/40/50 flatbed scanner
device `net:127.0.0.1:genesys:libusb:002:011' is a Canon LiDE 35/40/50
flatbed scanner
device `net:localhost:genesys:libusb:002:011' is a Canon LiDE 35/40/50
flatbed scanner

I am starting to wonder if the version 1.0.23 in trusty is simply
terribly buggy to the point of being unusable.

Regards

Rolf Leggewie