[sane-devel] Canon MF4770N

Ralph Little rlittle at inetco.com
Mon Feb 3 17:28:52 UTC 2014

Hi Rolf (et al),
I now have an MF4770N of my own.
I will have a go at sorting out the issues relating to the ADF that we
experienced previously and I will try to get to the bottom of the
occasional error when scanning.

To recap, the ADF on this scanner (any maybe on others) scans the first
sheet from the ADF fine, but draws the next sheet ready to scan (like a
fax). When scanning the next sheet, the printer is already in a ready
state and doesn't like the sequence sent by sane when it starts to scan
since it indicates that it is already busy. I have to cancel scanning on
the scanner before proceeding.

When do you think that the scanner should do in this situation? I can
think of two possibilities:

1) Perhaps the driver could detect that the scanner is ready with
another sheet and do something different to scan the next sheet, that is
already loaded into the ADF.
2) Perhaps if the application is only asking for a single sheet scan,
the remaining sheets should be cancelled at the end of the first-sheet scan.

What think you?

Cheers,
Ralph