[sane-devel] HP 6300C woes with Fedora 19 and sane 1.0.24

md sane at rovoreed.com
Fri Jan 17 19:51:22 UTC 2014

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I'm going around in circles.

I'm having problems getting my HP 6300C scanner recognised by SANE 1.0.24-7 under Fedora Core 19 (Linux version 3.11.9-200.fc19.x86_64).
Basically, the system says I've got no hardware attached. I've read the man pages, but as with all these sorts of problems I don't know if what I'm reading on the WWW is up-to-date or if it is longer relevant.

sane-find-scanner says my scanner exists...

[mike at xxxx ~]$ sane-find-scanner

  # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [Hewlett-Packard], product=0x0601 [HPScanJet 6300C]) at libusb:002:013

  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by

  # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

  # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
  # can't be detected by this program.

  # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
  # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
  # necessary.

... so I'm guessing it's something to do with the backend. It doesn't appear as if anything is created in /dev for the device, so it could be a udev problem as well.

The file /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/65-sane-backends.rules contains stuff for the HP 6300C, but that I assume is for the SCSI version because the lines

# Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 6300C
ATTRS{type}=="3", ATTRS{vendor}=="HP", ATTRS{model}=="C7670A", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

dont agree with my vendor/model as given by lsusb, i.e.

[mike at xxxx ~]$ lsusb -v -s 2:13

Bus 002 Device 013: ID 03f0:0601 Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 6300c
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         8
  idVendor           0x03f0 Hewlett-Packard
  idProduct          0x0601 ScanJet 6300c
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           1 (error)
  iProduct                2 HP ScanJet 6300C
  iSerial                 3 00000060PSPE
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           39
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0x60
      (Missing must-be-set bit!)
      Self Powered
      Remote Wakeup
    MaxPower                0mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           3
      bInterfaceClass         0 (Defined at Interface level)
      bInterfaceSubClass      0
      bInterfaceProtocol      0
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0010  1x 16 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0001  1x 1 bytes
        bInterval             250
Device Status:     0x0001
  Self Powered
[mike at xxxx ~]$

I've got no files at all in /usr/lib64/sane, and Fedora does not appear to have a package called "sane-hp" so, what is the backend library for my scanner called and where should I find it ?

Thanks for any assistance.

Mike