[sane-devel] HP ScanJet 4850: Working! but slide mode?

Stef stef.dev at free.fr
Tue Jan 21 05:46:37 UTC 2014

On 20/01/2014 01:16, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> Hi SANE developers--
>
> I'm pleased to report that the Hewlett/Packard ScanJet 4850 now works
> well with libsane 1.0.24-1.1.  It did not work when i tried it with SANE a
> year ago, so this is a great step forward.  Below is the output of lsusb
> for the device i've been testing on, which is physically branded as an
> HP ScanJet 4850.
>
> Also, the model i've got has a slide tray, which is supposed to be able
> to be illuminated from the back for scanning transparencies.  I was
> unable to get that to work, though, even when choosing the "slide"
> source medium from xsane -- it just produced a regular, non-backlit
> scan.
>
> Any pointers to what else i should try to enable the use of the slide
> scanner?  I'm happy to debug if folks have suggestions.

     Hello,

     thanks for the success report. The HP 4850 is really a clone of the
G4050 I have.
I haven't finished adding support for the transparency adapter for this
scanner. This one is even more complicated than other I know. The lamp
is on a slider that must moves in sync with the scanning head. Currently
I have code to get data from the XPA. Next step is to write and tune the
specific calibration sequence needed.

Regards,
     Stef