[sane-devel] genesys:libusb:.... changes while scanning (sane)

Stef stef.dev at free.fr
Mon Jan 27 12:51:42 UTC 2014

On 27/01/2014 12:52, n d wrote:
> Hi all.
> I'm using Mint 16, sane 1.0.24 and Canon Lide 700f scanners connected
> by a hub.
> When running a script that iterates over all the scanners connected to
> the hub (using the genesys:libusb:.... names hard coded) sometime
> the names (unix files...) are being changed while running, what cause
> the script to run unsuccessfully.
> For example genesys:libusb:001:008 becomes genesys:libusb:001:009
>
> a. Is there any way to give each scanners a persistent (and
> informative) name?
> b. does anyone have some idea why the usb numbering changes while
> running the script? (tried to run the commands manually one by one, no
> change in scanners name for this case)
>
> tnx

     Hello,

     usually USB numbering change when devices are unplugged/plugged.
Maybe you have something related to USB powersaving. You might try to
disable it.

     Unfortunately, these scanners don't have a serial number, so trying
to have some persistent name from their USB description cannot be done
in a generic and reliable way, since you can't tell the difference
between the several LiDE 700 plugged on your system.

Regards,
     Stef