[sane-devel] Trying to force SANE to use a different driver ...

W Sanders wsanders1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 3 20:55:26 UTC 2014

I have an ancient Microtek 3750i scanner. The sm3600 backend distributed with Fedora detects the scanner but dies with a "scanimage: sane_start: Error during device I/O" error si I though I would try using the sm3840 backend that comes with Fedora.

There is no sm3600.conf file. When I add a the 3750i IDs "usb 0x05da 0x40dd" line to the end of sm3840.conf scanimage -T cannot find the scanner. lsusb and xsane-find-scanner see the scanner just fine.

Am I missing something? There is also some udev mumbo-jumbo tied in to the Fedora sane-backend package - not clear to me if that helps or hinders sane in trying to load the right backend...

Thanks in advance...
-W Sanders
wsanders1 at yahoo.com