[sane-devel] Cascading saned servers

Jens-U. Mozdzen jmozdzen at nde.ag
Wed Jul 16 09:02:22 UTC 2014

Hi *, just a minor follow-up:

Zitat von "Jens-U. Mozdzen" <jmozdzen at nde.ag>:
> Hi *,
>
> I'm attempting to use cascading saned servers, in other words: I'm
> trying to share a scanner that is reachable from the "saned" system
> via its network back-end.
>
> Technically, this works. Unfortunately, either saned or the clients
> are not prepared for this, as the network scanners are not not
> listed via "xsane" nor "scanimage -L".
> [...]

saned's source code reveals that it is intended behaviour on saned's side:

--- cut here ---
   switch (current_request)
     {
     case SANE_NET_GET_DEVICES:
       {
         SANE_Get_Devices_Reply reply;

         reply.status =
           sane_get_devices ((const SANE_Device ***) &reply.device_list,
                             SANE_TRUE);
         sanei_w_reply (w, (WireCodecFunc) sanei_w_get_devices_reply, &reply);
       }
       break;
--- cut here ---

the "SANE_TRUE" value for the second parameter of "sane_get_devices()"
means "return only local devices" and is handed to net.c's
implementation, which then simply returns an empty list.

Would a patch to make this configurable (via command line option of
saned) be acceptable? I'd implement a "-r" option, with a semantic of
"re-export network-accessed scanner devices" and prepare a patch.

Regards,
Jens