[sane-devel] CANOSCAN 8400F

Myroslav Kavatsyuk m.kavatsyuk at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 1 12:19:53 UTC 2014

Dear Stef,

Finally I managed to test the CS8400F. In the git version of SANE there is
some implementation of the scanner. After adding proper line to genesys.conf
I managed to make
 first scan with the CS8400F. Scanning was invoked using
scanimage. Here are my observations:
* If I do not specify size of a document to scan (no -x and -y options), the scanner
  head bumps into movement limiter (goes too far)
* Scanner does not perform calibration and does not warm-up the
 lamp.
   It starts scanning immediately after the scanimage command. Once I limited
   scanning region with -x and -y options, I got image with vertical stripes (luck
   of CCD gain calibration?)

I am ready to work on the backend to make it usable. However, I need your help.
In the SANE digest (vol 74, issue 19) you wrote: "Adding support for the Canoscan
8400F will be a matter of tuning the settings structures in genesys_devices.c and
genesys_gl843.h. Then maybe adapt the code in genesys_gl843.c to support the
possible differences for this model."
Can you give me more specific hints, where should I add calibration, warming up?
I have running WindowsXP in the virtualbox with the usbsnoop, so I can get any
required usb logs.

Thank you in advance,
Best regards,
Myroslav