[sane-devel] CANOSCAN 8400F

Stef stef.dev at free.fr
Mon Jun 2 19:40:03 UTC 2014

On 01/06/2014 14:19, Myroslav Kavatsyuk wrote:
> Dear Stef,
>
> Finally I managed to test the CS8400F. In the git version of SANE there is
> some implementation of the scanner. After adding proper line to
> genesys.conf
> I managed to make first scan with the CS8400F. Scanning was invoked using
> scanimage. Here are my observations:
> * If I do not specify size of a document to scan (no -x and -y
> options), the scanner
>   head bumps into movement limiter (goes too far)
> * Scanner does not perform calibration and does not warm-up the lamp.
>    It starts scanning immediately after the scanimage command. Once I
> limited
>    scanning region with -x and -y options, I got image with vertical
> stripes (luck
>    of CCD gain calibration?)
>
> I am ready to work on the backend to make it usable. However, I need
> your help.
> In the SANE digest (vol 74, issue 19) you wrote: "Adding support for
> the Canoscan
> 8400F will be a matter of tuning the settings structures in
> genesys_devices.c and
> genesys_gl843.h. Then maybe adapt the code in genesys_gl843.c to
> support the
> possible differences for this model."
> Can you give me more specific hints, where should I add calibration,
> warming up?
> I have running WindowsXP in the virtualbox with the usbsnoop, so I can
> get any
> required usb logs.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Best regards,
> Myroslav

     Hello,

     calibration is currently desactived because of the
GENESYS_FLAG_NO_CALIBRATION . Remove it to activate calibration. Since
there are already 2 CCD scanners supported (KV-SS080 and HP G4050),
you'll have to setup entries in data tables held in genesys_gl843:
     - Sensor_Profile sensors[]
     - Motor_Profile gl843_motors[]
     - slope table such a uint32_t kvss080[]

Data will have to be extracted from usb logs.  The dev cycle is run the
backend with your changes, compare with usb logs, change code again to
fix differences .... until it works.

Sometimes you'll may have to add specific behavior for your scanner in
genesys_gl843.c see the use of CCD_G4050, CCD_KVSS080, etc...

     running 'doxygen genesys-doxygen.conf' in the doc/ sub dir will
generate doxygen info for all the backend.

Regards,
     Stef