[sane-devel] libsane udev rule

gobo gobo770 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 13:17:53 UTC 2014

the scripts i'm "reusing" were written ages ago for use with network
attached hp all-in-ones.  for this machine i could have gone without
specifying the scanner.  i failed to remember that and will make that
change.  thanks for pointing it out.

the libusb messages appear anytime scanimage is executed.

scanimage > t2.png
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/001/001: Permission denied.
libusb requires write access to USB device nodes.
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/002/001: Permission denied.
libusb requires write access to USB device nodes.
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/003/001: Permission denied.
libusb requires write access to USB device nodes.
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/004/001: Permission denied.
libusb requires write access to USB device nodes.
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/005/001: Permission denied.
libusb requires write access to USB device nodes.
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/001/003: Permission denied.
libusb requires write access to USB device nodes.

of course they don't appear when scanimage is run as root.  i can make
them disappear by redirecting stderr to null, but that's not the best
idea.