[sane-devel] Reverse engeneering of a network attached scanner?

Jörg Knochen joerg at jcbone.de
Wed Jun 25 07:56:35 UTC 2014

Hi!

I’m the administrator of a small dentists office. The IT is Macintosh based, with a FreeNAS Server, with one exeption: the workstation used for XRay operation has to run windows because of ONE missing twain driver for OS X.

The scanner is the following model:

http://www.duerrdental.com/en/products/imaging/vistascan-image-plate-scanner/vistascan-mini-plus/?changeLang=1

It can be attached by USB, but in our case it uses a network connection over IP.

If i could sniff this network connection and record the communication between the twain driver and the scanner - is there anyone out there willing to help me write a sane driver? The manufacturer has no interest so far in supporting anything but windows.

Another Idea: wouldn’t it be possible to install the original Twain driver into a wine bottle and write a sane driver which can pass through the twain commands from the bottle to a native interface on the unix side? This would be a GREAT workaround, too.

Thanks for your time,
Jörg-Ch. Knochen