[sane-devel] Compiling and installing SANE

jerry jerry at tr2.com
Tue Mar 4 19:37:03 UTC 2014

Hello,

    I just got a little mobile scanner on Ebay ( a Visioneer strobe
XP300 ) and desire to use it with my Ubuntu systems.  I see that support
for such things is in the "genesys" backend, which alas is not part of
the standard Ubuntu installation.  So I had to leave the comfortable
world of Ubuntu packages and go get the source.  I downloaded backends
v1.0.24 and frontends 1.0.14.

    The backend build informed me that the library had moved from
/usr/lib to /usr/local/lib and advised to
uninstall sane before installing the source build.  OK, I uninstalled
SANE with the Synasptic package manager. The usual configure/make/make
install sequence worked without incident.

    Trying the same thing with the frontend, the compile failed with a
couple of undefined constants:
SANE_OPTION_IS_SETTABLE and SANE_CAP_ALWAYS_SETTABLE.  A web search
told me that these defines had been removed at some point.  So I
commented out both of them.

    Scanimage complained that it couldn't find /usr/lib/libsane.so.1 -
so I stuck in a symbolic link.  The real fix of course would
be to get the source of scanimage....

    I also have a Brother multifunction machine out on my network, and
have used the Brother SANE driver to access it.  That scanner doesn't
seem to be visible now.  The Brother stuff is not open source - they
just give you their compiled libs.  I copied them from /usr/lib/sane to
/usr/local/lib/sane, but no Brother action from scanimage.  Do I have to
do something special to make SANE "notice" that there is a Brother
driver in there?  Maybe an ldconfig command?

                - Jerry Kaidor