[sane-devel] Using a network scanner...?

Torfinn Ingolfsen tingox at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 19:52:01 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Bernard T. Higonnet <bthcom at higonnet.net> wrote:
> On 03/03/14 22:26, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
>>
>> FWIW,
>> this is how I do it for my scanner:
>>
>>   <sane-prog> driver:net:<ip address>
>> for example:
>> xsane epson2:net:10.1.161.8
>> gscan2pdf --device epson2:net:10.1.161.8
>>
>> And yes, this is also under FreeBSD.
>> HTH
>>
> But it seems there is no sane backend for HP Officejet...?

Ah, that is a different problem. I thought your question was how to
use a (supported) scanner via network with SANE.
To find out if your scanner is supported at all (there are a few HP
backends) I'm afarid you will have to connect it to a (FreeBSD)
machine via usb and run sane-find-scanner as root.

If it isn't supported by SANE, there is always HPLIP
(http://www.freshports.org/print/hplip/) as already mentioned in this
thread.

HTH
--