[sane-devel] Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500 "Brain-dead scanner" in SANE 1.0.25

Krutzbeuazen krutzbeuazen at gmx.net
Mon Mar 24 11:59:54 UTC 2014

Dear list,

I try to get a new Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500 to work on Debian 7.4 x64. The
scanner works on this machine with some proprietary software which
doesn't use SANE.

I installed SANE from source, both into the regular folders and with
./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
I still have the original out-dated SANE installed, as the new manually
installed SANE doesn't resolve the xsane dependencies here.

For testing I set
> sudo chmod -R a+w /dev/bus/usb/*
Normally an UDEV rule and the user being in 'plugdev' 'scanner' 'saned'
groups is supposed to set all permissions right.

I removed all other scanner/USB-IDs from the SANE config(s) and set the
buffer to 65536. With original configs the symptoms were the same.

########################

> sudo ldconfig -v | grep libsane

ldconfig: Can't stat /lib/i486-linux-gnu: No such file or directory
ldconfig: Can't stat /usr/lib/i486-linux-gnu: No such file or directory
ldconfig: Path `/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' given more than once
ldconfig: Path `/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' given more than once
        libsane.so.1 -> libsane.so.1.0.25
        libsane.so.1 -> libsane.so.1.0.22
        libsane.so.1 -> libsane.so.1.0.25

########################

> sane-config --version
1.0.25

########################

> sane-find-scanner
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04c5 [Fujitsu], product=0x132b [ScanSnap
iX500]) at libusb:001:013

########################

The first time I try to talk to the scanner, it seems to respond. From
the second time on, it seems dead. Only re-plugging the USB lets me talk
to it again, for one time.
I never got the scanner to physically do anything, like pulling paper or
changing the status LEDs.

########################

First time after plugging USB in:

> scanimage -L
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of fujitsu to 5.
[fujitsu] sane_init: fujitsu backend 1.0.119, from sane-backends 1.0.25git
device `fujitsu:ScanSnap iX500:40368' is a FUJITSU ScanSnap iX500 scanner

########################

>From second time on:

> scanimage -L
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of fujitsu to 5.
[fujitsu] sane_init: fujitsu backend 1.0.119, from sane-backends 1.0.25git
[fujitsu] stat: return error 'Error during device I/O'
[fujitsu] WARNING: Brain-dead scanner. Hitting with stick
[fujitsu] stat: return error 'Error during device I/O'
[fujitsu] WARNING: Brain-dead scanner. Hitting with stick again
[fujitsu] stat: return error 'Error during device I/O'
[fujitsu] wait_scanner: error 'Error during device I/O'
[fujitsu] connect_fd: could not wait_scanner

########################

Every time:

> scanimage > test
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of fujitsu to 5.
[fujitsu] sane_init: fujitsu backend 1.0.119, from sane-backends 1.0.25git
[fujitsu] stat: return error 'Error during device I/O'
[fujitsu] WARNING: Brain-dead scanner. Hitting with stick
[fujitsu] stat: return error 'Error during device I/O'
[fujitsu] WARNING: Brain-dead scanner. Hitting with stick again
[fujitsu] stat: return error 'Error during device I/O'
[fujitsu] wait_scanner: error 'Error during device I/O'
[fujitsu] connect_fd: could not wait_scanner
scanimage: open of device fujitsu:ScanSnap iX500:40368 failed: Error
during device I/O

########################

[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of fujitsu to 25.

http://paste.debian.net/89425/

>From second time on:

> scanimage -L
http://paste.debian.net/89426/

At this point I am lost here.
I would consider setting up a dedicated linux box for this, on another
distro if needed. The preferred solution would be to get it running on
my desktop computer, though ;-)

I am grateful for any hints.
Please let me know if my way of formatting (and exporting to a pastebin)
needs to be improved for mailinglists too.

Cheers from Germany,

Manuel