[sane-devel] [genesys] Canon LiDE 210: How to use scanner buttons

Thorsten Müller thorsten at mueller-kleinheinz.de
Sun Mar 30 21:06:57 UTC 2014

Am Sonntag, 30. März 2014, 20:16:01 schrieb Dominik Kopp:
> Thorsten Müller wrote:
> > Am Montag, 24. März 2014, 09:17:46 schrieb Dominik Kopp:
> >
> > You will need somthing like scanbd:
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/scanbd/files/
> >
> > AFAIK this is not included in any distro repositories, so you have
> > build it for yourself.
> >
> > I wrote a script and modified the configuration of scanbd to use
> > this
> > script with my LiDE 210. The files are attached - the genesys.conf
> > goes into the scanner.d subdirectory under <PATH>/etc/scanbd. The
> > scanbd.conf file replaces the one shipped with the sources. The
> > autopdf script goes into the <PATH>/etc/scanbd directory. It makes
> > use of consolekit to get the user name who started the scanning
> > process and KDE's kdialog to get file names for saving scanned
> > pages and the like. Since you mentioned gscan2pdf, you probably use
> > gnome. You could try to modify the script into using zenity. The
> > autopdf config file goes into your home dir as .autopdf or into
> > /etc/default/ which is the location for default settings on debian
> > systems.
> >
> > HTH
> > Greetings
> > Skildron
>
> Thanks. I'm also using KDE. gscan2pfd is just a nice scanning
> application. Some month ago I tried to install and configure scandb
> for my old scanner, but I didn't accomplish the mission.
>
> In most cases it would be totally fine for me to start the scanning
> programm (skanlite, gscan2pdf, xsane,...), configure it (b/w or
> colour, resolution, file name...) and then scan several pages by
> using the scanner's button. I don't need the power of scandb.
>
> I'm just questioning whether xsane (or gscan2pdf, or skanlite) can
> react on a pressed buttons or not.
> To put it in a nutshell: Is it a problem before or behind the
> keyboard?

Xsane works - I just found out this week how to start it from my autopdf
script. kstart does the trick. Appended the latest version of the
autopdf script that starts Xsane if the AutoScan button on the CanoScan
LiDE 210 scanner is pressed - given you have installed and configuered
scanbd.

HTH
Greetings
Thorsten