[sane-devel] Request for advice on scanners compatible with Ubuntu 14.04

Roy Gardiner gardiner_roy at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 10 20:51:58 UTC 2014

Hello,

I am absolutely inexperienced with  scanners and am still researching
which scanner to purchase in order to scan my 35 mm negatives. My laptop has Ubuntu 14.04 installed and my preference is to buy an Epson scanner to use with the laptop. However, I am nervous about buying a scanner that will not be able to work with
Ubuntu.

I note from http://download.ebz.epson.net/faq/linux/faq_ls_00002.html that if I obtain the correct "backend" from Epson I should be able to
get up and running with a model V600. I have already installed Xsane (the "frontend"?) from the Ubuntu software centre. Can anyone confirm that the V600 should be OK? Can anyone make
any further recommendations for a suitable scanner for my purposes?

 Thanks!

Roy

Kind regards,
Roy Gardiner