[sane-devel] sane to work with USB 3.0

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 00:40:21 UTC 2014

Yes- especially since I am the original author of that 'flaming hack'
patch for the fujitsu backend in 2004:

git log -S r_cmd_count backend/fujitsu.c

commit f7eb787095a7f40839f3f51786a94d47238faebd
Author: m. allan noah <kitno455 at gmail.com>
Date:   Mon May 24 13:28:38 2004 +0000

    updated fujitsu backend with thread support

I then removed that hack when I rewrote the backend in 2006. Sometime
in the middle, 'Steve' copied it to the epson code :)

allan

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 6:40 PM, Olaf Meeuwissen
<olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp> wrote:
> m. allan noah writes:
>
>> I have added a USB3 port to my computer, and have spent a few days
>> investigating this problem.
>
> I haven't had that kind of time, yet :-(
>
>> It seems to be a bug in Linux kernel related to a bookkeeping error
>> when the USB device is closed.  [...]
>>
>> I have committed these changes to sane-backends git repo in
>> 7a590f362e7e93979b706dd9e6ae34584e926ec3. If users of fujitsu scanners
>> could try it out, I would appreciate any feedback. Note that this does
>> not fix USB3 problems in other sane backends. Until the kernel is
>> fixed, these types of repairs will have to be made on a per-backend
>> basis, at the discretion of the maintainer.
>
> But I did take a quick look at your patch and had a feeling of deja vu.
> A quick `git grep r_cmd_count` found `backend/epson.c` which has the
> very same logic in it (and as a result of a fork, `backend/epson2-io.c`
> has it as well).  A quick `git blame backend/epson.c` reveals that this
> is code from 2005, well before USB3!
>
> The commit message is telling.
>
>   "flaming hack to get USB scanners working without timeouts under linux"
>   submitted by "Steve" (in comment to bug #300830)
>
> Is history repeating itself?
>
> Hope this helps,
> --
> Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2           FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS CORPORATION
> FSF Associate Member #1962               Help support software freedom
>                  http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962

of my hand"