[sane-devel] sane + ubuntu 14.04 + Epson perfection 3170

Pierre LINDENBAUM plindenbaum at yahoo.fr
Mon Nov 17 07:03:08 UTC 2014

> The Perfection 3170 needs a non-free plugin.  You can get it via

  [1] http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/?OSC=LX

thank you for your answer Olaf,

I installed both iscan and iscan-plugin-gt-9400, they both used to work under ubuntu-12

$ apt-cache show iscan | grep -E '(Status|Package|Version)'
Package: iscan
Version: 2.10.0-2

$ apt-cache show iscan-plugin-gt-9400 | grep -E '(Status|Package|Version)'
Package: iscan-plugin-gt-9400
Version: 1.0.0-2

> The iscan frontend only works with the epkowa and net backends.

iscan used to work with my previous ubuntu but I don't know if 'epkowa' was uncommented in my previous dll.con
Furthermore, there is no 'epkowa' in dll.conf if that's what you mean.

$ grep epkow /usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.conf$

> Did you install the non-free plugin that is needed for the Perfection

3170?

Yes see above, I'm not sure what you meant by non-free: the plugin is available for download from epson.com

>  Is it found by the backend?

how can I check this ?

Thank you for your help,

Pierre