[sane-devel] sane + ubuntu 14.04 + Epson perfection 3170

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Nov 17 23:49:03 UTC 2014

Hi Pierre,

I've seen your other message but will reply here.

Pierre LINDENBAUM writes:

>> Hum, my idea was to install EVERYTHING from git.
>
> Ah, ok,
>
> I've removed/uninstalled the previous packages
> and re-installed from the git sources in /usr and /etc
> and re-installed iscan+plugin

OK.

> $ which scanimage
> /usr/bin/scanimage
>
> $ sudo scanimage  -L
> device `epson:libusb:002:003' is a Epson  flatbed scanner
>
> $ sudo sane-find-scanner  | grep USB
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0116 [EPSON Scanner]) at libusb:002:003
> # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
>
> still the same error.
> I posted the trace of iscan on
>
> https://gist.github.com/lindenb/bc7b85f7a4bf71ff500f
>
> iscan failed . Again, I noticed a few binary chars in the trace.

I went through the log and it is clear that the epkowa backend has not
been enabled.  Not sure why but add it to /etc/sane.d/dll.conf.  At the
same time, disable the epson backend.  It does not support your scanner
and never will.  For the same reason, you may want to disable other
backends you don't need.  It speeds up device detection (and makes for
shorter debug logs ;-).

The binary characters are the result of the epson backend spitting out
info gleaned from input it did not expect (because it does not support
the Perfection 3170).

The epson2 backend does not seem to support the device either.  I just
checked the master branch from the git repository, it doesn't.  Guess I
mistook the notions about the non-free plugin in epson2.desc for a stab
at support.  My bad.  You can comment out that backend too as far as the
Perfection 3170 is concerned.

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962