[sane-devel] libsane-epson missing, presumed dead

Mark Ballard markjballard at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 5 14:23:37 UTC 2014

Dear Sane Devs (isn't that some sort of misnomer?)

I'm writing to let you know about problems with libsane-epson.

All enquiries I have pursued on this lead to the Epson website. But
the Epson website which seems not to have the drivers for download.
I've
emailed Epson about this.

But meanwhile, you might find it helpful to know that the standard
libsane Linux packages do not include libsane-epson, though they do
have them referenced in the config files. (At least they are not there
in the ubuntu debian repositories).

The standard libsane Linux package does however include libsane-hpaio.
It does in fact include only libsane-hpaio. I'm sure this is fine if
you are using an HP scanner. But if you are using Epson or, I imagine,
anything other than HP, it is likely to lead to untold hours lost in
frustration at the unfathomable complexity that seems to reside on the
Linux system that stands between you and your scanner.

Best regards

Mark Ballard