[sane-devel] sane manpage out of date

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 23:01:14 UTC 2014

The manpage you pointed to suggests you are using sane-backends
1.0.19? You might find that the more recent epson2 backend meets your
needs. Epson2 has been the default for a few years now, and the
original epson backend is disabled by default.

Note that we also accept patches from users to fix our docs and code.

allan

On Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 10:37 AM, Mark Ballard
<markjballard at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Dear Sane Devs
>
> The sane-epson manpage is sending users up a dead-end alley.
>
> It says:
>
> "Please send mail to the backend author (khk at khk.net) to report ...
> problems with scanners that are listed."
>
> And it says:
>
> "The package is actively maintained by Karl Heinz Kremer  (khk at khk.net)."
>
> I emailed the author, Karl Heinz Kremer, and I can tell you that while
> he is most happy to receive messages about sane-epson malfunctions he
> is also only most happy in replying that it is no longer any of his
> business.
>
> He stopped maintaining the package and the manpage seven years ago.
> (http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.scanning.sane.devel/11846).
> In that time, he says, he has been happy to inform anyone who calls
> that he can't help them.
>
> I do think it discredits the good work he clearly did on maintaining
> sane-epson when he was able, that his fellows in the community have so
> neglected his legacy that they haven't even bothered to update the
> manpage.
>
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/intrepid/man5/sane-epson.5.html
>
> Meanwhile, pity the poor user.
>
> Mark Ballard