[sane-devel] libsane-epson missing, presumed dead

Mark Ballard markjballard at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 11 14:52:03 UTC 2014

Xubuntu Trustry.

The scanner has started working, perhaps not coincidentally following
updates to udev and systemd earlier this week. There is no other
apparent reason why the scanner should now be working. I.e. I don't
believe I've done anything different.

I had been of the belief that the epson libraries where not there
because they were not where the sane-epson manpage said I should find
them. It said:

"""

/usr/lib/sane/libsane-epson.a
              The static library implementing this backend.

       /usr/lib/sane/libsane-epson.so
              The shared library implementing this backend (present on systems
              that support dynamic loading).
"""

My computer said:

$ ls /usr/lib/sane
libsane-hpaio.so.1  libsane-hpaio.so.1.0.0

But now my scanner is working, the sane epson library is still not
there. Well, it's not *there* anyway, where the manpage said it should
be.

It is here:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-epson2.la
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-epson.la
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-epson2.so.1.0.23
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-epson.so.1.0.23
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-epson.so.1
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-epson2.so.1

I had looked in a *lot* of places to try and get my scanner working
(sane website, manpages, ubuntu scsi and scanning guides, etc). I had
also looked in my package manager and repositories. It seems that what
I had not done was a local find for epson files. That is because I was
groping around in the dark - a mere, pitiable user who when forced to
go down into the basement to find out why the boiler isn't working is
entirely dependent on his flashlight and manual.

Anyway, the scanner's now been detected.

I do sincerely hope this helps.

Cheers

Mark.