[sane-devel] Brother DCP8155-DN scanner not working on 64-bit Ubuntu 14.04

Linda R elindarie at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 00:39:21 UTC 2014

I have an even simpler question after looking at looking at this webpage

http://www.sane-project.org/bugs.html

It says "backends (drivers)".

Sorry to be so ignorant, but this makes me wonder whether the use of the
scanner driver downloaded from the Brother website is mutually exclusive
with the use of a sane backend.  I mean is one or the other being used, but
not both?  Is the term "backend" synonymous with "driver"?

I had thought the sane backend was a level of software above the Brother
driver, but maybe I'm wrong.

If one is being used and the other isn't, how could I tell which is being
used?