[sane-devel] Imageclass D530 Scanner Support (New Patch?)

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 14:45:16 UTC 2014

Sounds like you have two copies of sane-backends (and hence,
scanimage) installed.  If you call the replacement copy of scanimage,
it will default to using the replacement libs. You will need to setup
your ld paths to load the replacement first. I continue to be
surprised that distro's do this- put /usr/local/bin first in the
$PATH, but not put /usr/local/lib first in ldconfig.

man ldconfig might give some details, and so does section 3.1 of this doc:
http://www.sane-project.org/README.linux

allan

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 10:25 AM, tx <gtux at gimpchat.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the link. It contains some good info. Actually, I've been able
> to run scanimage as a regular user after adding the user to the "lp"
> group. I do have to specify the device as a command line argument.
>
> My current problem is that I can't use SANE frontend GUIs. Xsane and its
> variants are not able to detect the scanner. That's odd because "scaniamge
> -L" detects the scanner and so does "sane-find-scanner". One would assume,
> if both of those see the scanner, the frontends would be able detect it. I
> don't know of anyway to specify the device on the command line when using
> xsane, as I do with scanimage. My initial thought was that SANE GUIs were
> simply frontends to scanimage. I guess that isn't the case, unless the
> frontends just aren't properly interfacing with scanimage.
>
> Perhaps there are still permission issues or perhaps I'm missing something.
>
> The scanimage app works well, as root or as a regular user. It scans at
> all resolutions and geometries. My main goal is tobe able to scan directly
> into GIMP but I need Frontend GUIs to function properly in order to use
> the GIMP plug-in.
>
> ~gtux
>
> On Tue, October 21, 2014 8:20 am, Johannes Meixner wrote:
>>

>> Hello,
>>

>> On Oct 20 21:39 tx wrote (excerpt):
>>
>>> I am now able to scan as root

>>> I guess my issue now is one of permissions.
>>>

>> I did not read all the details in this mail thread but
>> perhaps the section about "scanner access permissions" in
>> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Configuring_Scanners
>> might provide an usable workaround for you
>> The best workaround to get those kind of issues out of sight
>> is to use the "saned"...
>> (of course provided you let the "saned" run as root).
>>

>> Kind Regards
>> Johannes Meixner
>> --
>> SUSE LINUX Products GmbH -- Maxfeldstrasse 5 -- 90409 Nuernberg -- Germany
>>  HRB 16746 (AG Nuernberg) GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix
>> Imendoerffer
>>

>> --

of my hand"