[sane-devel] Scanner failure when connected via USB3

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 20:21:53 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 8:01 PM, Mike Cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have run some more tests this evening - after starting the wireshark
> program, I set the systemd journal to log with -f to watch output, and
> first simply plugged in the scanner.
>
> Journal log gave:
> ct 29 19:39:51 lenovo2 kernel: usb 3-4: new high-speed USB device number 4
> using xhci_hcd
> Oct 29 19:39:51 lenovo2 kernel: WARNING! power/level is deprecated; use
> power/control instead
>
> The wireshark usbmonitor file ( replayable as input to wireshark), and
> text packet dissector files are attached.
>
> At this stage xsane was not started, and only the hardware was plugged in.
>
> I also note that the arch linux wiki on Sane mentions:
> You may also get this error loged while attempting to scan:
> kernel: usb 1-2: new high-speed USB device number 8 using xhci_hcd
> kernel: WARNING! power/level is deprecated; use power/control instead
> The fix is: In the UEFI/BIOS change the setting under USB configuration,
> xhci pre-boot mode from enabled to disabled.
>
> This implies that usb3 is problematic and switches off fast usb3 if xhci
> pre-boot mode was disabled!
>
> As soon as I started xsane, it appeared to start normally and presented
> the gui to "Acquire Preview".  As soon as I clicked to acquire preview the
> scanner screamed and xsane hung. I will attach the logs fro wireshark for
> this second stage in a separate email shortly.  However I left the system
> to itself and after some 10 seconds or so it stopped screaming and
> presented a small popup dialogue box saying that the device was not found.
>
> At that point I also noticed that the journal log showed:
>
> Oct 29 19:41:22 lenovo2 kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check
> events logged
>
> I'll now attach the wireshark logs as they should be small enough to be
> accepted in this ML.
>
> --
> mike c

I looked back at the journal log for the previous tests I ran - in each
case the first time I plugged in the scanner it gave the power level
deprecation warning, but interestingly any subsequent unplugging and
replugging of the scanner before rebooting the machine did not give that
warning - only on the first plug in after boot.  Also every time that xsane
hung there was an mce  hardware error in the log.

Does this point to a problem with libusb since that involves xhci traffic
on the usb bus?

--
mike c