[sane-devel] Fwd: Why will sane-find-scanner detect my scanner, but scanimage -L won't?

Mark Drew drewmark at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 07:04:25 UTC 2014

All,

I downloaded the latest git snapshot of the sane backend (1.0.25git) and
built it from source according to the instructions in README and
README.linux.  Everything went smoothly until I got to the point of trying
'scanimage -L'.  What I don't understand (and would like help with) is why
sane-find-scanner will find my scanner (with or without root), but
scanimage -L will not (with or without root).

When I was using the 1.0.23 distribution from yum repos, I was able to get
the scanner recognized by both of these commands (but the my scanner wasn't
supported at all by that version).  Now I can only get sane-find-scanner to
recognize my scanner.

[mark at PotableLinux ~]$ uname -a
> Linux PotableLinux 3.9.10-100.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Sun Jul 14 01:31:27 UTC
> 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> [mark at PotableLinux ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
> Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle)

Here's the output from sane-find-scanner:

[mark at PotableLinux ~]$ sane-find-scanner -v
> This is sane-find-scanner from sane-backends 1.0.25git

checking /dev/usbscanner14... failed to open (Invalid argument)
> checking /dev/usbscanner15... failed to open (Invalid argument)
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x046d, product=0x08ae) at libusb:001:005
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04c5 [FUJITSU], product=0x128d [ScanSnap
> S1300i]) at libusb:002:007
>   # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
> supported by
>   # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.
>
>   # Not checking for parallel port scanners.
>
>   # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
>   # can't be detected by this program.
>
>   # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
>   # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
>   # necessary.
> done

And here's scanimage:

[mark at PotableLinux ~]$ scanimage -V
> scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.25git; backend version 1.0.25
> [mark at PotableLinux ~]$ scanimage -L
>
> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
> [mark at PotableLinux ~]$ sudo scanimage -L
>
> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Mark