[sane-devel] Canon Pixma MX530 series

Rolf Bensch rolf at bensch-online.de
Tue Sep 16 10:04:22 UTC 2014

Hi Stephen,

Am 12.09.2014 um 18:55 schrieb Stephen Weston:
> Rolf,
>
> Thank you very much for the patch. I have now tested that patch and can
> confirm the scanner will now correctly scan images at the 1200dpi
> resolution. Perfect!

I just committed the patch to Sane's git repository.

> Just a query with the ADF.  I have noticed that with the 'Simple Scan'
> tool in Ubuntu it will report as 'Failed to scan' after it has finished
> the last document in the ADF rather than cleanly finishing the scan job.
> I doubt this should be normal behaviour and is more of an annoyance
> rather than a real problem as I can just close the message and still
> carry on as normal. Also in xsane if I have more documents in the ADF
> than I tell it, then it will correctly scan in the number of sheets I
> told it there are, but then the scanner attempts to take in the next
> sheet which ends up stuck in the ADF. I then have to go through
> switching the device off and on to get it to release that sheet of paper
> from the ADF.
>
> These ADF problems are only minor annoyances so its not going to cause
> major problems.

Please create a USB dump file and send it to me:

(1) $ export SANE_DEBUG_PIXMA=11
(2) $ scanimage [your settings] -x 10 -y 10 2> pixma.log > pixma.pnm
    or
    $ xsane &> pixma.log

Please scan a small area of 10 x 10 mm @ 600 dpi to reduce log file size.

> Another question... is this updated and patched version of sane and
> sane-backend ever likely to be included in an standard Ubuntu update?  I
> don't really know how these sorts of things work.

You can use my ppa:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rolfbensch/sane-git

> Again, I really appreciate your help and the effort you have put in to
> support people like me.

You're welcome. Many thanks for your report!

Cheers,
Rolf