[sane-devel] Fujitsu S1500 unable to stay connected

Chris Glasoe crglasoe at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 22:11:42 UTC 2014

In addition I forgot to add this shot from Yast Scanner setup

If shows Fujitsu and an undefined scanner with the Fujitsu driver.

I have tried editing the Fujitsu entry to the S1500 driver with no luck and
vice versa adding Fujitsu to the driver discovered by Yast.

Again any help is appreciated.

Chris

On Wednesday, September 24, 2014 05:07:55 PM Chris Glasoe wrote:
> I am not sure if I am making progress on this or not.
>
> I noticed that running xsane shows that no scanner is found.  Yet
> running usb-devices shows that the scanner is connected to Bus=3
> Lev=7 and running lsusb shows Bus 003 Device 007: ID 04c5:11a2
> Fujitsu, Ltd.
>
> So in my limited understanding the scanner is recognized as plugged
> into a USB port.
>
> While searching for more information I stumbled on a post (I can’t
> remember where) that suggested running modprobe scanner.  The
> response is FATAL: Module scanner not found.
>
> Running sane-find-scanner (after a power cycle of the scanner)
> provided:
>  sane-find-scanner
>
>   # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
>   # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
>   # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.
>
>   # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different,
make
> sure that
>   # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
>
> could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
> could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04c5, product=0x11a2) at
libusb:003:007
>   # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
> supported by
>   # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.
>
>   # Not checking for parallel port scanners.
>
>   # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary
> ports
>   # can't be detected by this program.
>
> Power cycle the scanner again and run scanimage -L results in:
> device `fujitsu:ScanSnap S1500:160097' is a FUJITSU ScanSnap
> S1500 scanner
>
> Two questions (I am running OpenSuSE 13.1);
>
> To the modprobe scanner, should there be a scanner module?  It
> seems logical that there should be at least to me.
>
> Would the absence of the scanner module be a reason that a power
> cycle of the scanner makes it reappear to scanimage?  Not sure why I
> am asking that other than the thought that the scanner module is
> needed to register or keep the system aware of the scanners
presence.

> I had thought this might be a USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0 issue but I don’t
think
> so anymore.
>
> I think some piece of software (although I can’t even hazard a
guess as
> to what) is missing.
>
> Again any help would be appreciated.
>
> Chris
>
> On Monday, September 22, 2014 04:52:24 PM m. allan noah wrote:
> > Sane seems to have some trouble with usb3. I've not had time to
look
> > into it, and I don't have any such hardware myself. You might be able
> > to convince your machine to make the usb ports act like usb 2.
> >
> > allan
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 4:09 PM, Chris Glasoe
>
> <crglasoe at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I have recently built a new machine. I used Gscan2PDF on a
laptop

> with
>
> > > only
> > > the occasional issue of missing perl items.
> > >

> > > Both machines are running OpenSuSE 13.1.
> > >

> > > The laptop connects to the Fujitsu S1500 without problem. The
new

> desktop
>
> > > however will connect onetime and then appears to be dropped.
> > >

> > > When I run scanimage -L I receive:
> > >
> > > chrisg at Rex:~> scanimage -L
> > >
> > > device `fujitsu:ScanSnap S1500:160097' is a FUJITSU ScanSnap
>
> S1500 scanner
>
> > > If I run the command immediately again I receive:
> > >
> > > chrisg at Rex:~> scanimage -L
> > >
> > > No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something
>
> different,
>
> > > check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by
the

> > > sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the
>
> documentation
>
> > > which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
> > >

> > > If I power off and on the scanner the sequence of events is
repeated