[sane-devel] SANE_CAP_ALWAYS_SETTABLE (was Re: Preparing for a sane-backends release)

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Aug 5 13:14:24 UTC 2015

Hello,

On Aug 5 07:47 m. allan noah wrote (excerpt):
> What are they using it to signify?

I cannot answer this right now because I do not maintain
SANE frontends packages for openSUSE (see my other mail).

Right now I checked skanlite and there is
no SANE_CAP_ALWAYS_SETTABLE in its sources.

But I cannot check all possible SANE frontends packages
in openSUSE with reasonable effort because I do not know
how to find out (with reasonable effort) in which
openSUSE packages SANE frontends might exist.

But I have a plan now:

Because the issue with SANE_CAP_ALWAYS_SETTABLE happened
in 2009 I can (hopefully) safely assume that meanwhile
all (relevant) SANE frontends upstream projects have
adapted their sources (as needed) to work without it.

Therefore when the next sane-backends version is released
I will again mercilessly clean up the openSUSE sane-backends
package to the furthest possible extent to be in compliance
with SANE upstream.
(I had done such a reset to compliance with upstream
in about 2004 when I became maintainer of sane-backends).

By the way - if you agree - I would like to drop support
for parallel port scanners, see my other mail.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)