[sane-devel] Announce: Driver for Pacific Image Electronics and Reflecta USB scanners

Klaus Kaempf kkaempf at suse.de
Fri Aug 14 07:01:24 UTC 2015

Hi Rolf,

* Rolf Bensch <rolf at bensch-online.de> [Aug 13. 2015 23:11]:
> Hi Klaus,
>
> Some functions of your scanner backend are very interesting for the
> Pixma backend, too. My scanner (CanoScan 9000F) also has an ir-lamp for
> dust removal functions. I'm very happy that you're implementing such
> functions to Sane now.

the praise should go to Michael Rickmann <mrickma at gwdg.de>, I'm just
pushing this upstream now ;-)

> Please move the buffer functions from backend/pieusb_buffer.[ch] to e.g.
> sanei/sanei_buffer.[ch]. Then I also can use your buffer functions for
> the Pixma backend.

Stef, do you agree ?

It should be noted that the current SANE API (or the dust removal code
?!) isn't really prepared for two-pass scanning with dust removal. The
pieusb driver 'blocks' during the scan process because dust removal
starts after the scan is complete. This appears to the sane frontend as a
long sane_start() with an almost instantaneous transfer of scan data
in sane_read().

Klaus