[sane-devel] Need help with Canon scanner

Alan McConnell alan at his.com
Wed Aug 19 14:57:29 UTC 2015

Assembled Wisdom!

Almost a year ago, I bought a Canon ImageCLASS MF4770n, an
all in one printer/scanner/copier.  I use it regularly for
printing, and it works fine with my CUPS SW.  I should add:
it resides about six feet from my computer, and is connected
with a USB cable.

I spent a little time this spring trying to get the scan
function to work, but was not successful.  I am now
returning to this issue, and I need help.

First:  I have run sane-find-scanner, and it returns the
line:
   found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9, product=0x2774) at libusb:001:004
But when I run xsane as 'myself'(alan), also as 'root', I am
told after a search, where my various USB lights blink, that
there is 'no device available.'

I am running Debian Wheezy.

I believe that there is a backend for the MF4770.  However, I
don't seem to have libusb, although my USB works fine for
backups onto USB sticks, and, as mentioned, my USB connection
to the Canon printer works fine.

I should appreciate any help or suggestions from the many
experts on this E-list.

Alan McConnell, in Silver Spring MD

--
Alan McConnell :  http://globaltap.com/~alan/
          If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.