[sane-devel] Announce: Driver for Pacific Image Electronics and Reflecta USB scanners

Stef stef.dev at free.fr
Wed Aug 19 20:19:03 UTC 2015

On 14/08/2015 13:54, m. allan noah wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 3:01 AM, Klaus Kaempf <kkaempf at suse.de> wrote:
>> Hi Rolf,
>>
>> * Rolf Bensch <rolf at bensch-online.de> [Aug 13. 2015 23:11]:
>>> Hi Klaus,
>>>
>>> Some functions of your scanner backend are very interesting for the
>>> Pixma backend, too. My scanner (CanoScan 9000F) also has an ir-lamp for
>>> dust removal functions. I'm very happy that you're implementing such
>>> functions to Sane now.
>> the praise should go to Michael Rickmann <mrickma at gwdg.de>, I'm just
>> pushing this upstream now ;-)
>>
>>> Please move the buffer functions from backend/pieusb_buffer.[ch] to e.g.
>>> sanei/sanei_buffer.[ch]. Then I also can use your buffer functions for
>>> the Pixma backend.
>> Stef, do you agree ?
>>

>> It should be noted that the current SANE API (or the dust removal code
>> ?!) isn't really prepared for two-pass scanning with dust removal. The
>> pieusb driver 'blocks' during the scan process because dust removal
>> starts after the scan is complete. This appears to the sane frontend as a
>> long sane_start() with an almost instantaneous transfer of scan data
>> in sane_read().
>>
> Unfortunately, the same is true of backends using sanei_magic- we just block :(
>
> allan
     Hello,

     I have reviewed latest changes, and I consider that the pieusb
backend is ready for inclusion since commit
e6294630553b5bcb2671537786c5107e3393ac9f on the pieusb branch of
git at github.com:kkaempf/sane-backends.git .

     I suppose you'll create an account on alioth
(https://alioth.debian.org/account/register.php) so that Allan can add
you to the project.

     I would be really great if you could extract the buffer bits in a
sanei_buffer, it would be an added bonus for the project. But it is a
separate issue from backend inclusion.

     Many thanks for this nice work.

     Allan, adding a backend requires you re-run config script on
alioth, isn't-it ?

Regards,
     Stef