[sane-devel] Need help with Canon scanner

Alan McConnell alan at his.com
Thu Aug 20 14:23:38 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 10:47:55PM +0200, Rolf Bensch wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> The libsane version from Debian doesn't support your scanner.
      There seems to be a consensus that I must upgrade to
      libsane 1.0.24.  So I have downloaded
      	      libsane_1.0.24-8_i386.deb
      and run  dpkg -i  libsane_1.0.24-8_i386.deb.
      But this gives me error messages, letting me know that
      the install was not successful.

      So, alas, I need further assistance.  Is there a way
      of removing _all_ sane stuff from my computer and
      then downloading from sane-project.org a bunch of the
      latest packages?  This seems cumbersome, but what I
      am doing is not successful.

> You need to install Sane Development Version from git as described in
> README.linux (http://www.sane-project.org/docs.html).
  	I am guessing that SANE Standard Version 2.0(development)
	is what is being referred to here.  But when I click on this
	I am told that this is currently under development.

	I apologize for what must seem like stupidity.  But sinee
	there are front-ends, back-ends, tools, etc for a person
	to cope with, perhaps I may be pardoned, and helped
	further.

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://globaltap.com/~alan/
     "St Francis! preaching to the birds!  if he had really