[sane-devel] CUPS dependency

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Thu Aug 20 23:56:49 UTC 2015

Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to pack sane for OpenWRT. As routers normally have low FS space,
> it is important to keep program sizes and dependencies to a minimum.
>
> While compiling sane-backends, I tried to look for usages of CUPS in every
> source file and I did not find. Without cups-devel, I get the same backends
> compiled. When compiled with cups, every sane .so gets linked to it.
>
> Is cups dependency still necessary?

It has been commented out in commit efb04936 (on 2013-10-15).

> Also, I did not find a way to tell configure to ignore cups (except by
> patching it). Is there a better way?

Cherry pick that commit?

Use the latest source from the git repository?  Not ideal if your
package for OpenWRT needs any kind of long term support though.
You may want to wait for the next release.  There is talk[1] of doing
one mid September.

 [1] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2015-August/033641.html

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2     FLOSS Engineer -- EPSON AVASYS CORPORATION
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962