[sane-devel] Need help with Canon scanner

Alan McConnell alan at his.com
Sat Aug 22 14:08:42 UTC 2015

! ! ! !

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 10:05:20PM +0200, Rolf Bensch wrote:
> Hi Allan,
	<G>  You're thinking of Mr Noah.  I'm a one-L Alan.

> Did you install Sane from sources before? It seems so. Please remove all
> libsane.so.1.0.24 files from /usr/local/lib/ and reinstall Sane with
> 'sudo make install' and go ahead with 3.1.
  	  All done.

> You can jump over 3.2.
       There is a symlink pointing nowhere there?  ?  ?

> Please check the version with 'scanimage -V'. You should get:
> scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.25git; backend version 1.0.25
  	 Exactly what I got.

> Please read your scanners manual. You need to set your scanner into
> "Remote Scanner" mode before you can use any PC program to scan.
  	I _did_ read it, and discovered that after I toggled to
	"Remote Scanner" I then had to press the OK button.  That
	was what settled things.  For my scanner now 'works'.
	The command 'scanimge > test ' took a while to execute,
	which is not surprising, since it yielded a
	       Netpbm PPM "rawbits" image data
	file of size 1683875.  I took several images, a couple of
	elaborately colored ads of the beauties of Japan, and
	the images showed up gorgeously.  The physical
	Canon I have certainly is a fine piece of equipment.

> Hope this helps.
         It certainly does/did!   RTFM! and now that I've done
	 so, and pressed the OK button, things seem to be working.

	 I've got to find out how to do B&W scans, which means
	 studying the man page for scanimage.  I'll stick around
	 this E-list for a while, just in case I have further
	 questions I can't solve by myself.

Herr Bensch, bitte nehme Sie meinen tiefsten Dank an! wegen Ihres
Wissen und, vor allem, Ihrer Geduld!!

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://globaltap.com/~alan/
        It is difficult to get a man to understand something when