[sane-devel] Canon MF212w Scanner and SANE

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Thu Dec 3 10:52:29 UTC 2015

Hi Scott,

monkity writes:

> Hi Olaf,
>
> Olaf writes:
>
>> [...]
>>Have you tried sane-backends-1.0.25.  That versions claims that support
>>for the MF210 Series was added to the pixma backend.
>>
>>Seeing that you are using Linux Mint, I *guess* that you get your SANE
>>backends via the Ubuntu package archives.  The version in Ubuntu's wily
>>(1.0.25+git20150528) appears to be new enough.
>># The Changelog mention the addition on 2015-04-03.
>
> Unfortunately nothing is that easy.  Mint doesn't download the 1.0.25
> backend with SANE; in fact it doesn't seem to do anything with respect
> to backends.  I'm afraid I'm going to have to build the backend from
> scratch, and I have no experience with this.
> I did find a copy of 1.0.25 on
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/pst/sane.html.
> That page, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/sane, and others aren't
> really designed for Mint and newbies though.  Where should I start?

Uh-oh, newbie alert ;-)

First, check that you have the libsane package installed.  From a
terminal, run

  $ dpkg-query -W libsane

If that produces something like

  libsane:amd64    1.0.25-2

things look good.  If, instead you get something like

  dpkg-query: no packages found matching libsane

there is more work to do but I assume for now that libsane is found.
# If not, stop here and get back to me via the mailing list.

In that case, you can probably get away with downloading the Ubuntu
libsane package from

  http://packages.ubuntu.com/wily/libsane

Just make sure to pick the correct architecture.

Once downloaded, run

  $ sudo dpkg -i libsane-1.0.25+git20150528-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb

and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps,
Support Free Software               Support the Free Software Foundation
https://my.fsf.org/donate                        https://my.fsf.org/join