[sane-devel] Some weirdness with a Canon LiDE 220

Scott Alfter scott at alfter.us
Wed Dec 16 01:23:59 UTC 2015

On 2015-12-15 14:52, John S. Weber wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Scott Alfter <scott at alfter.us> wrote:
>> I've had this scanner working with prerelease code and the final
>> 1.0.25
>> release for several months, but when I tried scanning something in the
>> other day, it refused to start up.  I normally use xsane to scan
>> documents; after hitting the "acquire preview" button, the scanner
>> carriage makes a short moving sound, and then a dialog pops up:
>>
>> Failed to start scanner: Invalid argument
>
> I also have an LiDE220. I noticed a few weeks ago that xsane was giving
> me
> the same error. I had no problems with other front ends including
> xscanimage, scanimage, and simplescan. About 2 days ago I tried it
> again
> and xsane worked. I played around a little and it seemed that xsane
> worked
> if I acquired a preview first, but not otherwise. I don't remember if I
> had acquired a preview from a few weeks ago or not.

Tried again just now, and now nothing works: not xsane, not scanimage,
not gscan2pdf.  It started running the scanning head down the page in
xsane when I selected 16-bit bit depth, but it threw an "invalid
argument" dialog and the scanning head kept going until it hit the stop
down by the hinge (at which point I unplugged the cable).

It's looking more like the fault is with the backend driver (genesys, in
this case), not the applications.

--
Scott Alfter
scott at alfter.us