[sane-devel] Some weirdness with a Canon LiDE 220

Scott Alfter scott at alfter.us
Thu Dec 17 03:41:24 UTC 2015

On 2015-12-16 19:18, m. allan noah wrote:
> You found the patch. If removing that fixes the issue, then our
> workaround is causing problems with current linux kernels. I suppose
> we will have to make the workaround controlled by an environment
> variable in that case.

It didn't fix it when using gentoo-sources (kernel) 4.1.12, but in
combination with gentoo-sources 4.3.3, I have only had one failure to
scan, and that was when I told it to try scanning at 4800 dpi.  At
normal settings (600 dpi and below), I suspect it'll scan all day.  It
even completed a scan at 2400 dpi after a bit of a delay.

I then put the patch back in (or, more precisely, didn't patch it out),
recompiled, and tried again under the newer kernel.  It seems to be
running about the same with the workaround as without: an "invalid
argument" error at 4800 dpi, but it works at 2400 dpi and below.

The patch doesn't appear to be making much of a difference one way or
the other.  Instead, it would appear the kernel developers may have
fixed whatever was broken with USB 3.0 support somewhere between 4.1.12
and 4.3.3.

--
Scott Alfter
scott at alfter.us